Monday, January 14, 2008

Now starting for the New York Mets?

I refuse to comment on speculation, especially with the 2 months of drama regarding Johan Santana. However, I will re-iterate one point. As a Met fan, I am willing to deal ANY package of players that does not include Jose Reyes, David Wright or Carlos Beltran to bring Johan Santana to the Mets. This guy is the best pitcher in the game, in his prime, and I refuse to let any player(s) who has yet to make any kind of impact in the major leagues prevent me from getting him. With a package of guys like Deolis Guerra (18), Fernando Martinez (18), Carlos Gomez (hit .250 in the big leagues last year, Kevin Mulvey (a 22 yr with just 1 AAA start) and Philip Humber (still waiting for ANYTHING impressive), the BEST case scenario is that ONE of them rises to the level of Santana.

I'll take the sure bet, and don't kid yourself, the Mets can afford the 6 yr/$150M extension. After all, their biggest off-season acquisition to this point remains Matt Wise and the $1.2M we gave him.

No comments: