Thursday, November 29, 2007

Odds and Ends

My apologies for the lack of updates, the few assignments I have left were calling my name. A few updates in the world sports:

1) Terrible tragedy regarding Sean Taylor. For some reason, I always liked Taylor. No one will claim he was the most moral guy, or the most upstanding citizen, but he loved football and had great passion for the game. As a VT fan, I remember watching him since college, and this guy struck fear in your heart as an opposing fan. He was a great athlete and a great player, and I am sad to see him go. The more I read, the more I learn about how he was progressing not only as a solid defensive stud in the NFL, but as a human being as well. I think he would have done great things in this league, and the NFL was robbed of a true star. RIP Sean.

2) Pardon my bias, but the Magic are really, really good. They aren't the deepest in the league, but something about their makeup works. A dominant center, a pure scorer, a true point guard, a scrappy 2-guard and a shot-making, role-playing, hard-nosed 3 in Hedo Turkoglu. The combo of Howard, Lewis, Nelson, Bogans and Turkoglu seems to me be working wonders. Throw in a decent bench of Foyle, Arroyo, Redick, Battie, and Garrity, and you have the makings of an Eastern Conference contender. If this Magic team can stay healthy, they will be a major factor in the Eastern Conference, ans have already proven they can play with, and beat, the Celtics.

3) I really can't understand the logic of the Delmon Young for Matt Garza deal. Both are teams that are trying to compete in the short run, as neither will be able to sign either player once the arbitration years end. The Twins will lose Santana, and Carlos Silva, and will need a guy like Garza to front end their rotation. The Rays, more than anything, need to put asses in the seats, and I guarantee you no one in the great state of Florida has the slightest clue who Matt Garza is. Delmon Young, although a controversial figure, is an intriguing player, and one who many would pay to see. I can't see why either team would be motivated to make this deal, but would gladly take either young player in Queens.

4) The college coaching carousel is getting interesting. Houston Nutt has taken the Mississippi job (not surprising) and ex-Packer failure Mike Sherman has accepted the Texas A&M job. The Nebraska slot and the Michigan opening remain the most notable jobs, and most fascinating to follow. If I were to bet on it, I think Les Miles will end up in Ann Arbor, especially after LSU's title chances went down the tubes (and even more so when LSU loses to Tennessee...trust me).

5) Don't look now, but the Devils have won 5 straight. Amazing what happens when one of your top defensive players and veteran scorers/assistant captains return from injury. Magically, Brodeur can play goalie again. Don't be surprised if the Devils find themselves perched atop the Atlantic Division by the time March rolls around, however Detroit and Ottawa remain the class of the league.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Taylor will be missed. His UM connection connected him to every locker room in the NFL. RIP number 21. I live 10 minutes from where he was shot, and the whole sequence of events doesn't suprise me.